Family and Community Services
At UICS, we believe in the nurturing strength and support of community.
We believe in the simple power of a kind word or gesture to lift someone up.
We believe that people who are taught to become strong will be unstoppable.
We believe that the more you give someone the confidence to believe they can, the more they will.
We have five full-time Family Advocates on our staff who partner with families to provide education, support, and empowerment. Our Family & Community Engagement team works with a network of community partners to provide the following services:
- Parent Education – A variety of on-site and in-home programs to mentor, teach, and support parents in their roles as caregivers and their child’s first teachers.
- Family and Community Engagement Events – Bringing together families, community members, and supporters, UICS hosts an annual Fall Festival and Spring Arts Festival with hundreds in attendance.
- Health and Safety Awareness Events – From Seat Beat Security to Diabetes Awareness, these valuable resource events are free and open to the public.
- Community Arts Engagement – UICS hosts performances and programs from Alvin Ailey American Dance Theatre, the American Jazz Museum, the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art, etc. to connect the community to unique art experiences.
- Kindergarten and Family Readiness – We host kindergarten enrollment fairs/events to prepare students and families for a successful transition to their next education experience.